Tuesday, 4 April 2017

Behind the scenes - new Bad Bitches promo picture!



FINALLY. We finished another one of our Bad Bitches promo pictures! For background information please check out the blogpost about our art project.
It was the largest and most expensive set we did so far. Johanna Eckhardt was responsible for hairstyle & make-up, Paul Jonas and I built and designed the set and our photographer Crystal David did her photo and photoshop magic. The beauty on the picture is my friend Patricia!
The picture was shot in Crystals living room with the help of two stone-colored backgrounds - there also wasn't much photoshop involved, Crystal just had to close the gap between the backgrounds.


The antique bureau, the chair, Goethe and half of the books are mine and can now be found in my bedroom. Honestly, the bureau has become one of my most priced possessions -  when I saw it I immediately knew It would be perfect for my place. Nevertheless, Paul Jonas had to convince me that I would regret not buying it forever before I ended up spending all the money I had saved for my holidays! I haven't regretted my decision since and I suppose every collector of antiques had to start somewhere. Well, it escalated from there, but that's a story for my next blogpost...

Isn't it AMAZING??? It's a mid to late 19th century ( Napoleon III) reproduction of late Louis XVI but certainly looks the part.

I didn't buy it for the photoshoot alone, but with a picture like this in mind. Goethe is another one of those "it's cheap and looks the part so I'll buy it for a photoshoot" fleamarket finds that got to stay as a permanent piece of my furniture. Same with the chair, I found it in my parent's basement and couldn't let go after the shoot although it was in terrible condition (which you thankfully can't see in the pictures). I even tried to send it back to my parents for a few weeks, but I missed it so much I asked if I could have it in exchange for paying for restauration and upholstering. Many thanks to my father, our unofficial Bad Bitches furniture sponsor!

My appartment after the makeover. Attention: hidden advertertising for our series can be found on the walls! ;) 
The shoot was a full make-over, Johanna even dyed Patricias hair - she did an amazing job! I have known Patricia for quite some time, but after seeing her without glasses and make-up for the first time I just knew she was the perfect model I was looking for! She is a friend from university, a fellow student of art history, and looks very different in everyday life: she has modern, very short hair, dyed blonde, lots of tattoos and wears large glasses.
She did a great job and was incredibly patient, I can't praise her enough. By the way, this was her very first photoshoot!

Beauty knows no century!
The dress... well, we planned several sets and I packed every gown between 1790 and 1815 I own. This one worked fine with the set although it was way to large for Patricia. It was designed, cut and optimized to my (old) dress and bra size - hence made for a woman with a bigger frame and larger bust than Patricia. I pinned it into place (which worked suprisingly well) but she doesn't need the rather wide straps like I do to balance it out.


Well, I'd LOVE to make the gowns for the Bad Bitches made-to-measure, it would certainly enhance the pictures, but unfortunately we (I) neither have the money nor the time to do that. I'm happy to be able to afford the materials (and the once-in-a-lifetime bureau) but there is no wiggle room. In comparison - this is how it looks on the intended wearer, me, shot by Verena Gremmer!

http://www.verenagremmer.com/
The fabric for this dress was a very happy find at a fabric market in Berlin and I literally spent all the money I had left. I remember counting my change and getting an odd amount of soft and shiny cotton velvet. Velvet is always a tricky choice, neither modern silk-rayon velvet nor cotton velvet looks and feels like the historically accurate silk velvet, but this one is especially pretty, shiny, drapes well and looks great. Not perfect, but close enough. I had to piece the dress together, there is no fabric left - but that's completely historically accurate!
I added some random white cotton blend I had lying around as a lining and cotton strings as an inlay for the piping and sewed the dress entirely by hand with cotton and linen thread. It was a rather fast project, I started Monday and wore it on Saturday for a nice private salon. 
The other dress we chose worked much better on Patricia, pattern-wise. This is actually a preview for another picture! 

Me, looking like a mixture of a hobbit and deshaveld troll, re-arranging Particias hair. It was all about her curls, not mine! ;) 
...we have many cute outtake shots, but unfortunately they are all rather blurry. I hope you enjoyed this post anyway and if you have questions about our project or topics you'd like to have covered in the next blogpost - please ask.


MerkenMerken

No comments:

Post a Comment